Photo by me at Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area, Kentucky, USA.
In this modern world where there are literally billions of webpages and blogs to choose from, what can you write about that is most likely to be read by others?
Blogs can increase online presence, market share, and return on investment, which of course, are all good things. However, many people and businesses quickly run out of blog topic ideas and end up closing down their blog for this reason.
Recently, while looking for just such inspiration myself, I ran across a fantastic article written in January, 2019, and published on Quicksprout. “35 Blogging Ideas That Are Guaranteed to be Popular Topics”
I have sort of paraphrased it here for you.
35 Popular Blog Topics
- How To Guides – People will always want to know how to do things for themselves. The article indicates that people hate to read instruction manuals, but we mainly use How To Guides to learn how to do things we need, or want, to do. Who wants to hire a professional if you can figure it out yourself? The sense of satisfaction is beyond any other!
- Politics – Now here is a topic that can invoke a multitude of emotions, so be careful and try to maintain a neutral position that presents both sides of the argument. If you have a very large following, you won’t want to alienate or offend them. Choose a topic, and present all sides.
- Bacon – Almost everyone loves bacon. Apparently, Huffington Post, one of THE most popular blogs online, has an entire archive of bacon related posts.
- Recipes – Is there ever a time when there is not some ‘new’ diet, or food fad? People are always looking for tasty and healthy new recipes.
- Beginner Guides – A beginner’s guide to something can go a long way towards increasing your reputation as an expert in your field as well as gaining search traffic to your blog.
- Ultimate Guides – These are good if you are an expert in your field. Many experts in a subject matter will research this type of material. Other names to use are Essential Guide or Complete Guide.
- Frequently Asked Questions – According to the article, these are blogger gold.
- Interviews – I have noticed myself that interview blogs seem to get more views and comments than many others. Also, it references a website that can help you interview industry leaders. helpareporter.com
- Personal Stories – By sharing personal stories, you allow readers a glimpse into your business from a personal level.
- Charity and Activism – Any type of charity events or activism that you support should be blogged about! This appeals to the good in people, and showing that you care too can increase your following.
- Product Reviews – These are great to not only gain traffic, but also to monetize your blog through affiliate links.
- Breaking News – Don’t try to compete with the major news outlets, and wait until you have as many facts as possible to relate. It’s nice to be first, but unnecessary. It is more important to not gain a reputation for having incorrect information.
- Myth-debunking – “Approach writing such an article with the intention of providing as much useful and usable information as possible.” Apparently people love to read about things that they’ve always thought were true, but really aren’t.
- Automation – When it comes to doing business, anything at all that can make it simpler, or more effective is absolute gold.
- Troubleshooting Guides – These were so rare years ago, that I used to actually save any that I came across that I might need. Ever. Now, I can bookmark them.
- Contests – The key here, in my opinion, is to make sure to give away something that people will want. We all love to win things for free, though right?
- Advice – Life advice is always a popular topic. We all want to be happy, and input from impartial people can be helpful. Especially if they have had similar experiences as our own.
- Productivity Tips – We want to be more productive right? Get more done in less time? Posts that can help us to do this are always popular.
- Travel – For those that are unable to travel, or planning a vacation, a travel blog can be a Godsend. From seeing someplace that we may not otherwise get to, to planning which places to see or eat at, pictures and great descriptions are essential.
- History – A great way to add useful information to your blog. Perhaps your home town has interesting history?
- GIF’s and Memes – Useful as subject matter to be discussed further, or inspirational, funny, entertaining, anything at all to entertain your reader. We all love them! I especially love animal GIF’s and memes.
- Funny Stories – If you can make someone laugh, you have lightened their soul for the day. We all love to laugh, no doubt about that. Funny posts get shared more often than any other type.
- Parenting Tips – Only works if you actually have kids, or have raised some. LOL Even Dad bloggers are coming into their own!
- Upcoming Events – Whether local or global, upcoming events can be a great way to add traffic to your blog.
- Internet Stars – A partnership with, or feature on an “Internet Star” is a fantastic way to drive traffic to your blog. From searches to their followers, the number of readers gained can be huge.
- Tech Support – Many companies that offer tech support are now blogging about it with great success.
- Gift Ideas – It seems like there is always a ‘gifting’ holiday, birthday, or anniversary right around the corner, where we are expected to give gifts. Personally, I am always on the lookout for anything that will make a great gift for a specific person on my list throughout the year.
- Best-ofs – “WatchMojo built an entire business on top 10 lists, and many others are following suit. Including best-of lists focused on everything within your industry is a great way to draw reader attention.”
- Respond to Readers Comments – This allows you to show your readers that you care about them and their concerns.
- Lists – Lists should keep things organized and straightforward, making it easy for the reader to skim the major points. Making a list longer than your competitors can be a big help.
- Infographics – Graphics are a must for any blog, we know that. “You probably have plenty of facts and statistics about your niche and industry at your disposal. Put relevant ones together, and use them to create an eye-catching infographic to share on your blog.”
- Fitness – In this day and age, when we all seem to be trying to improve our lives through health and wellness, these type of posts will always be popular. But, please, I beg of you, do not prey on the insecurities of others by trying to sell some useless get fit quick crap.
- Share Your Secrets – No, not all of your secrets, just an inside look into your business practices and processes you use to make it work. Let them get to know your business a little better.
- A Series, or Regular Feature – Some topics simply can’t be covered in one post. Be sure to leave a bit of a cliffhanger at the end to keep readers coming back for more. Also, a regular feature regarding your industry, like what’s new, is always popular.
- Share Customer Success Stories – Customer reviews, comments and experiences are always a great boost to your product sales (if you have one), and great for blogs.
Well, that is all 35 that they had in their article. 35 Blogging Ideas That Are Guaranteed to be Popular Topics
I have a few more that have been popular for me:
- Mental Health
- Gardening and Flowers
- Pets – the more the merrier!
- Relationships – romantic and family.
Have a Fabulous Day!